If you are a content creator or work with influencer marketing, you have definitely heard ‘CPM’ and ‘RPM’ being thrown around regularly. Instead of just nodding your head and pretending like you understand what CPM/RPM stands for and why it's so important - we put together a quick overview of everything you need to know about these ad revenue analytics.
CPM: Cost Per Mille; The cost per 1000 ad impressions before YouTube revenue share. It is essentially the cost an advertiser will pay for every 1,000 impressions or views their ad receives on YouTube.
RPM: Revenue Per Mille; It represents how much money a YouTuber earned per 1,000 video views. The RPM gives YouTubers an accurate amount for how much they will be paid for running ads on their content (it’s lower than CPM because it deducts YouTube’s fees).
In short, it is important for YouTubers to understand and be attentive to both CPM and RPM in order to measure their earnings. Advertisers are much more concerned with CPM - how much it will cost them to run an ad on a specific channel, and RPM is the amount the creator will get paid for running the ads (it’s lower than CPM because it has already deducted YouTube’s cut).
The CPM is the cost per 1,000 ad impressions before YouTube revenue share. Advertisers focus on this revenue analytic as it calculates how much it will cost the company to run an ad on a specific channel. An ad impression is counted anytime an ad is displayed at any time in the video.
Content creators get a cut of what advertisers pay when an ad appears on your video - the more an advertiser pays to appear on your video, the more money you make. Although the CPM amount doesn’t show you the definitive amount you will be pocketing, it gives you a pretty good idea of how valuable advertisers find your videos and audience for achieving their ROI (return on investment).
It’s critical to remember that the CPM reflects what advertisers will pay per 1,000 views, not what you will earn.
Each type of niche on YouTube has a different CPM, but being a non-advertiser-friendly channel is a quick way to lower your channels CPM - here are some factors to consider:
The RPM is a metric that represents how much money a YouTuber has earned per 1,000 videos views. This gives creators an accurate representation of how much money they make on YouTube after the video-sharing platform takes its cut (the average channel will take 55% of the ad revenue generated while YouTube takes the other 45%).
What YouTuber doesn’t want to know how much they can earn on YouTube? It also gives creators a really good understanding about how effective their monetization is on the platform. This helps creators identify ways to improve and optimize their monetization strategy.
At first, the RPM amount may look quite grim - especially compared to your channel's CPM - but it reflects the actual amount of your ad revenue income. At the end of the day, you want to know how much money you are making from the content you are creating - that’s RPM.
Creators can check their RPM on YouTube’s channel analytics, for example:
In order to calculate a creators YouTube ad income, plug the numbers into this calculation:
However, RPM does not give you insight on how much money you generated through brand deals and sponsorships - that’s where our YouTube sponsorship calculator comes in handy.
Using our YouTube sponsorship calculator, you can not only deduce how much it would cost to sponsor a specific YouTuber, but about how much the YouTuber earns via brand deals.
Recommended article - YouTube sponsorship calculator: How much to charge your YouTube channel
Filling out our YouTube sponsorship calculator, you may have noticed that unlike many other calculators available across the web, we take into account projected views, placement of the ad, and YouTube category. Why? Well, these elements share a ton of information -
Recommended article: Understanding YouTube sponsorship rate
YouTube is a great platform for sharing content you created while getting paid - it’s one of the most lucrative revenue streams for all-types of content creators. In order to make money, you need to make sure that the content on your channel is attractive for both viewers and advertisers. The key is to monitor your CPM, keep an eye on your RPM and use both these ad revenue analytics to understand your channel’s worth and how to improve your videos in order to better optimize your videos.